Being able to find the best place to put items you don't use as much as you used to is important. It's ideal to choose a mini storage that will allow you to have more space in your home and less clutter. However, it's important for you to know certain things about storage units prior to making a long-term rental commitment.
The size of the unit you select will determine the amount that you will need to pay for it. Storage units come in a variety of sizes, and it's in your best interest to choose the smallest one to meet your needs. This will allow you to save money over time.
Listed below are some of the common sizes and average costs of storage units:
- 5x5 – This is typically the smallest unit you will find, and the monthly price is $40–50 per month.
- 10x15 – This is a larger unit that may hold a full set of bedroom furniture. You can expect to pay $75-$140 monthly for this size.
- 10x20 – When you need a storage unit that will hold many items in your home, you should consider this size. However, be sure you're prepared to pay $95-$155 monthly for the additional space.
You will want to be sure you get a storage unit that has a number of security features in it. You should also take the time to find one that is in a safe location, and that doesn't have a great deal of crime.
Below are some additional safety features to look for in a unit:
- Lights that keep your unit well-lit during the evening and night hours.
- A padlock that you can put on your unit for extra security.
- A storage unit that is inside a gated area.
- Surveillance cameras that catch any people entering the area after hours or who shouldn't be there at all.
The Inside Climate
If you have certain items in your unit that requires extra care or that is sensitive, you should be sure to get a climate controlled unit. For instance, if you own old albums, antiques or electronics, these shouldn't get too hot or cold.
A climate controlled unit will guarantee the temperature inside the unit never gets above 90 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in the winter.
There are numerous ways renting a mini-storage unit can be helpful to you and knowing what to expect in advance is ideal. Be sure to shop around for the best storage unit in your area. For more information, talk to a professional like Santa Monica Mini Storage.